So, to assist you to avoid becoming another crime statistic, we've compiled a list of ideas for securing your property while you're away.
Shopping Safety Tips
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Put your shopping bags in your trunk.
- NEVER leave car doors unlocked or windows open.
- ALWAYS park in lighted areas. Do NOT park in remote areas.
- Shop with a friend.
- Keep receipts in your wallet or purse.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- As you return to your car, make sure to keep your car key in your hand.
- If you make expensive purchases like jewelry or guns, call our office as we may need to add these to your policy.
- Make sure the tree is at least four feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents, or lights.
- Make sure the tree is not blocking any exit or door.
- Add water to the tree stand daily.
- Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
- Only used approved lights.
- Connect no more than three strands of mini string sets and a maximum of 50 bulbs for screw-in bulbs
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
If you are planning to vacation during the holiday, here are few ideas to consider:
- Get a security system.
- Trim landscaping that is too close to your house.
- Don’t advertise your vacation on social media.
- Cancel mail and other deliveries.
- Leave lights on when gone.
- Have a neighbor check on your home.
- Always lock your garden sheds and garages.
- Use a variable light timer to activate lights inside your home.
- Lock all doors and windows.
- If your gone, arrange for your lawn to be mowed.
- Have adequate exterior lighting.